Chris Gayle : First 200 in World Cup ODI Ever
The match today – West Indies Vs Zimbabwe or should I say Chris Gayle Vs Zimbabwe?! This has been one hell of a match so far with fireworks all over the ground and all thanks to Gayle who has been smashing the ball all around the park today.
So today, is a day of records and what better to write about than the man who enters history through a new set of records.
WI – 19 sixes and 21 boundaries
and Gayle – 16 sixes and 10 boundaries
Here are a few interesting tit bits about the stunning knock today.
1) Chris Gayle makes the highest number of runs by an individual in the world cup. The previous record was of Gary Kirsten who scored 188
2) He is the only non Indian to have joined the 200 plus club. The others who have scored 200 plus are Rohit Sharma, Sachin Tendulkar and Virendar Sehwag.
3) This is the first 200 in the world cup history. The other double hundreds have come in other innings but this is the first time ever a 200 has been made by an individual in the world cup
4) This is the fastest ODI double century in the history of cricket, surpassing only Virender Sehwag.
5) The other highest run maker by a fellow West Indian was VIV Richards – 189* in 1984
6) Chris Gayle made 16 sixes equalling the previous world record by Rohit Sharma for the most sixes in a single innings
7) The entire score today has been made between the two batsmen with Dwayne Smith going out for a duck!
8) Gayle manages a stunning strike rate of 146.25 to strike 215 from 147 balls with 16 sixes and 10 boundaries
So.. What better inspiration to start the day with? 🙂
It is pretty fascinating to see the unorthodox cricketers make it big in these competitions. It is no news that Gayle has always been known for his flamboyance with the bat, esp with the boundaries and the sixers and you can see sheer power in it. Although there is no comparison between his style and the other orthodox batsmen, one can surely say that he is one cricketer who has his own style and most of it is certainly off the books.
It is a delight to see such people succeed cos it goes on to show that technique is just a part of the game and there is a lot more that it takes to churn out a success. So, we rate today’s motivation in the name of Gayle, a splendid thunderstorm that took the world of cricket through sheer entertainment.
Do join us for more such updates,