1. I hear you say “Why?” Always “Why?” You see things; and you say “Why?” But I dream things that never were; and I say “Why not?”
2. Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
3. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.
4. Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
5. A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
6. People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don’t believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can’t find them, make them.
7. Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
8. If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience.
9. Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time.
10. If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
11. Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
12. Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
13. After all, the wrong road always leads somewhere
14. I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.
15. A pessimist is a man who thinks everybody is as nasty as himself, and hates them for it
16. One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven’t and don’t.
17. As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death.
18. We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.
19. No man can be a pure specialist without being in the strict sense an idiot.
20. My speciality is being right when other people are wrong.
21. When I was young,I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. So I did ten times more work.
22. We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
23. Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.
24. The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
25. All progress is initiated by challenging current conceptions, and executed by supplanting existing institutions.
More from George Bernard Shaw