The Lunchbox: Bagged Nomination at The BAFTA
The LUNCHBOX, movie by Ritesh Batra has been nominated in the non-English best film category of United Kingdom’s one of the most prestigious awards. Isn’t that a proud news for Indians?
Here is all you need to know about BAFTA and THE LUNCHBOX
What is BAFTA?
BAFTA is the British Academy Film Awards (Organized by British Academy of Film and Television Arts.)
Why is BAFTA famous?
BAFTA is considered to be equivalent to the Academy Awards. BAFTA is an independent British charity that supports, develops and promotes the art forms.
How many Indian movies have been nominated so far?
Out of curiosity I went to the database of BAFTA. And here is what I discovered. Around 8 Indian movies have been nominated in the BAFTA for the non-English language film category.
Have a quick look,
- Song of the Road- Satyajit Ray
- The Unvanquished- Satyajit Ray
- The World of Apu- Satyajit Ray
- Gandhi- Richard Attenborough (This won the award)
- Salaam Bombay!- Mira Nair
- Monsoon Wedding- Mira Nair
- Devdas Sanjay- Leela Bhansali
- Rang De Basanti- Rakeysh Omprakash
- The Lunch Box- Ritesh Batra
The Lunchbox honours
- It was 2014’s highest grossing foreign film in the United States.
- The film was screened at International Critics’ Week in 2013 Cannes Film Festival.
- The film won the Critics Week Viewers Choice Award (Grand Rail d’Or)
- The film was screened at 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.
- The movie has much better business in the international markets than in India.
Why should you watch The Lunchbox?
The Lunchbox is a sweet love story between a lovelorn wife and a lonely man. The love story begins with the misplaced delivery of lunch boxes and eventually connects the two souls. It sure is an old-fashioned romance, but it makes you smile more often. The characters beautifully portray the hopes of everyday life amidst the insecurities and loneliness. It shows how a pinch of hope can transform the way you live. What better could you ask for in a movie which can make you smile, leave you with “feel good” feeling, and assure you that a little hope can craft a better life for you.
Do join us for more such updates,