Ralph Waldo Emerson Quote:
And here is today’s quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson
“It was a wise counsel that I once heard given to a young person “Always do what you are afraid to do”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson.
I have been a huge fan of Emerson quotes and this perhaps is one of the best Emerson Quotes I have seen.
Fear is a terrible thing to happen to all of us. And we have read a lot of other quotes as well, where Will Smith says – fear is not real, danger is. But nothing feels more real than fear cos that is one emotion we have faced on quite a regular basis. The fear stems from a lot of reasons such as
- What if I fail
- What if I make a fool of myself
- What if I give my best and I am disappointed
- What if I do everything I can and even then things go wrong
- I am afraid I might actually succeed
And so on.. It is something we see and feel on a regular basis and it makes sense to find ways to get ourselves out of the illusion or the reality of fear whichever way it appears to be. We made an elaborate post on 11 practical steps to overcome fear in life which will guide you through a journey of overcoming them and sometimes even embracing these fears.
Fear is an illusion?
But nevertheless, they are there and the only smart way to overcome fear is to face it head on and then perhaps find ways to get out of it. Most times, we realize that fear is something which is made up in our head. Shiv Khera once said fear is nothing but false evidence appearing real. I am not sure how much of it I believe.
But if I look at my life and see all the fears I have faced – right from going on to the stage to address a gathering, learning a new art, talking to new people, transforming from an introvert to an extrovert… All along, I have faced these fears and the worst of them was when I felt that I could not do something. And it compounded when I thought more about it and it seemed more of an impossibility, not because I wasn’t capable but because I was afraid I might fail.
Fear of failure
Of all the things we face, I guess the fear of failure is one of the strongest ones we encounter. And whether you and I like it or not, the only way out of it is through it. I had to go out on the stage and make a fool of myself only to realize that it was not a big deal. I went out to make friends and was made fun of the first few times but only to get some amazing ones eventually.
It is scary when we are starting something new cos the outcome is completely unknown and we have no idea how we are going to perform. So instead of worrying whether you or I am going to succeed or fail – just look at it this way – you are going to do it cos it is fun and exciting. And at a certain level you got to enjoy making mistakes in life. One of my favourite thought is
“Make mistakes but make them quick”
Atleast this way, you will get to know what works and what doesn’t. All the mistakes you do today take you to your real goal. Make all mistakes you want where the outcomes don’t matter much. Cos when it comes to a stage where the outcomes matter a lot, you would have already found ways out of the stupid mistakes and even if you do mistakes at these high stake ones – they will be worth it cos they are not silly or stupid. And at a certain point, we all realize that: We give too much of importance to mistakes and the truth is – while one person hesitates and fears making mistakes, the other person is already doing them and making himself superior!
It indeed is a wise counsel and no wonder Ralph Waldo Emerson is one of the best thinkers the world has ever seen.
Here are 10 inspirational quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson
1) What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us
2) Do not go where the path might lead you, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail
3) To be yourself in world that is constantly trying to make you someone else is the greatest accomplishment
4) Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail
5) What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say
6) A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer
7) All life is an experiment, the more experiments you make, the better
8) People do not seem to realize that their own opinion of the world is also a confession of character
9) There are other measures of self respect for a man than the number of clean shirts he puts on everyday
10) Do the thing we fear and the death of fear is certain.
These were our top 10 Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes. Stay tuned in for more quotes and their meanings and more on inspire99.
Do join us for more such updates,