May 1 is a special day for working people, a day to commemorate the importance of laborers or workers in a setup. Although the use of the word laborer has reduced of late since we have moved on from the factory mode of work to a flatter organizational structure. Still, it is nice to have a day to remind ourselves of the contributions we have made without which a company would never survive, let alone make profits.
Here are 5 hand picked quotes to add to the celebration of labor day or the international workers day or May Day.
1) Work isn’t to make money; you work to justify life.
– Marc Chagall
2) “My grandfather once told me there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to be in the first group; there was much less competition.”
3) The miracle of the seed and the soil is not available by affirmation; it is only available by labor.”
4) “Work is no disgrace; the disgrace is idleness.”
5) “Keep working hard and you can get anything that you want. If God gave you the talent, you should go for it. But don’t think it’s going to be easy. It’s hard!”
6) “Nobody can think straight who does not work. Idleness warps the mind.”
Those were our top picks for the day, thanks to the link above, you can check it out for a wider collection.
I think the era of labor has changed, people have moved on from the factory mentality to a newer generation where dignity of labour has taken the forefront. We all are very proud of what we do. I mean we spend about 8Hrs of our day working, and another 2 Hrs to travel to work.
In other words, if we assume that we sleep for 8Hrs, we easily spend about 1/3 of our life on work and it certainly defines a large part of who we are and what we do and also a little bit about our mindset as well. People say that if you choose something you love, you never have to work in life.
I am not sure if I completely agree to that. For I realize from experience that in order to do the things we like, we also have to do a few things we don’t like as well. Maybe that is the law of life, it just tests how badly you need something and how willing you are to make it happen.
Either ways, our labor, our work and what we do is something we all should feel proud of. If you don’t, then maybe it is time to quit and find a new job. A job is not just about meeting the needs now, we are in a new generation where finding a job is not the biggest challenge, the actual challenge is in finding the right job for us.
Forget about meeting the ends part, that is not a major challenge anymore, the challenge is a little bigger and a little more meaningful internally for your or my own personal growth. Pick up something you like and you have a great deal of things to talk about.
Our message for the labor day – feel proud and content of what you do, only you know yourself well enough to tell as to what makes you happy. And if your job is not doing its job for you, well then maybe it is time that you keep your eyes open for the next opportunity!
Do join us for more such updates,