John Forbes Nash, Jr. Often dubbed as ‘A Beautiful Mind‘ is an incredible source of inspiration. The theories he established and worked on are used in economics, computing, accounting, artificial intelligence, evolutionary biology, military theory and many more fields. He is a winner of 1994 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences and also the winner of Able Prize in 2015 – an international prize awarded annually for outstanding mathematicians. If not for anything else, we can certainly remember John Nash for through the movie – “A Beautiful Mind” based on his life story.
- His work in game theory is considered one of the most influential ideas of the 20th century.
- He won the Nobel Prize for Economics for his work in Game Theory.
- His work on Equilibrium Theory resulted in naming the theory as Nash Equilibrium.
- He was awarded John von Neumann Theory Prize, Leroy P. Steele Prizes, Abel Prize and many more.
- His life inspired Sylvia Nasar to write his biography which later was adapted into a movie, A Beautiful Mind which won Oscars.
John Nash initially wanted to become an engineer like his father and took up majors in chemical engineering, but later he realized the drive he had towards mathematics and eventually switched from chemistry to mathematics. Nash’s life is remarkable as he battled against Paranoid Schizophrenia. When he was in is 30s he started showing clear signs of mental illness. He dealt with this state for more than a decade and after that his mental status started improving slowly allowing him to go back to work his area of interest.
Why Watch “A Beautiful Mind?”
A Beautiful Mind is a remarkable journey of John Nash, a little boy immersed in “Men of Mathematics” experiences mental trauma and illness, goes through a painful and harrowing journey of self-discovery. Eventually battled over his tragedy to become a Nobel Laureate. The movie fills you up with inspiration and true amazement, not just at the acting, but also about the life of the man who is being portrayed.
- IMDB rates it 8.2/10.
- Rotten Tomatoes showed a 77% approval rating among critics, stating: “The well-acted A Beautiful Mind is both a moving love story and a revealing look at mental illness.”
John Nash, Jr. Quotes
- “People are always selling the idea that people with mental illness are suffering. I think madness can be an escape. If things are not so good, you maybe want to imagine something better.”
- “I did have strange ideas during certain periods of time.”
- “And I have made the most important discovery of my career, the most important discovery of my life: It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logic or reasons can be found”
It’s amazing how some achievements are made beyond what we consider to be a few limitations if not the daunting factors which pull us down. I guess we all will have our reasons as to why we can or cannot do something and all of them will be extremely logical as well. However, it takes beyond just these reasons and justifications to describe what we or anyone calls a success. True respect to the man of the hour – John Nash!
Do join us for more such updates,