India’s Mars Mission Cost Less Than The Movie Gravity!
Well, it is a proud day for an Indian, the first Mars mission from India reaching a resounding success takes India to the honors of being the first Asian country to reach Mars! As the countdown was called, prayers were offered but nothing more fulfilling than the first attempt reaching its destiny. ISRO has made tremendous progress over the years, like the director, Mr Radhakrishnan, said
“We are really not racing with anyone, but with ourselves to reach the next level of excellence.”
It would perhaps be unfair to compare ourselves with what other countries have done in this segment since we are really competing with ourselves to reach this goal.
ISRO, the organization which was started in early 1962 by Vikram Sarabai just a few years after NASA was founded in 1958 has reached some admirable milestones in the recent past. Esp after the year 2001, it has been a tremendous achievement for ISRO to reach some milestones
1) ISRO’s first satellite – Aryabhatta was launched in 1975
2) In 1980, we had the first satellite from India launched by an Indian made launch vehicle.
3) ISRO launched its first lunar probe in 2008 – Chandrayaan which is claimed to have achieved 95% of its objectives.
4) ISRO’s moon probe discovered the presence of water molecules in the moon soil
5) It has now launched the moon probe which has successfully entered the orbit and the skies look a little bright from here.
It gives me an immense pleasure to say and repeat again that India is among the very few countries who reached the Mars mission in their first go. Roughly about two thirds of the spacecrafts designed for Mars have failed before completing the mission and there are a few which failed even before the mission began. Although debaters may say that it was much later compared to the other countries, but it sure is a commendable achievement to be the first Asian country to reach for Mars. Here are a few interesting facts about the ISRO Mars mission
THE MANGALYAAN MAGIC
1) Mangalyaan, the Moon mission and the project was made at a cost of Rs.450 Crore – The cheapest inter-planetary mission ever to be undertaken. The amount spent on the mars mission vehicle is lesser than the expenses on the movie “Gravity”
2) India is the first in the world to enter the martian orbit in its maiden attempt!
3) This places India in the league club of nations like US, Soviet Union which have entered the martian orbit
4) A mere 21 projects out of 51 have succeeded but India has prevailed.
A FEW INSPIRING WORDS ABOUT MARS ORBIT MISSION OF INDIA
- Today Mangal – Mars has its MOM – Mars Orbit Mission 😉 and it is very rare that a mom disappoints.
Paraphrasing what our prime minister had to say about this achievement,
“Innovation by its very nature involves risk. When you are trying to do something you have never done before, it is a leap into the dark and it has to be a leap of faith. Humanity would not have progressed if we had not taken such risks. Today, we have dared to reach out into the unknown and achieved the near impossible”
How is that for a dose of motivation today? And how about doing that something which you were always afraid of? 🙂