“I always wanted to become a mathematician”
Anand Kumar is a mathematician, tutor, founder, columnist for mathematical journals. This mathematician has been an integral part of changing lives of IIT aspirants from economically backward classes. His institution SUPER 30- Ramanujan School of Mathematics has grabbed the attention of famous intuitions and organizations across the world, receiving accolades for his efforts and spirit.
“I felt the pangs of poverty. I decided to do something for the poor students, who invariably fade away without getting right opportunities.” – Anand Kumar
- Founder of Super 30 program (An institution which provides coaching for economically backward students for IIT-JEE entrance)
- 12 years with 30 students every year, 308 students out of 360 have made it to the IITs.
- Named in the Limca Book of Records (2009) for his contribution in helping poor students with free coaching to pass the IIT-JEE.
- Honoured by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Harvard University and many international universities.
- Has been featured in international shows including BBC programs and Discovery Channel’s documentary.
- Time Magazine selected ‘Super 30’ in the Best of Asia 2010.
- Newsweek feature named his school to be most four innovative schools in the world.
Dropped the Admission From Cambridge University
Anand Kumar was born in Patna, Bihar. He was born to a not well financially stable family. He was deeply interested in Mathematics and his interest led to submit papers on Number Theory at his graduation level. He was selected by the Cambridge University to pursue his further education. But the financial status and lack of sponsors resulted him in dropping his dream.
Hunger to Learn More
When his father died, Anand took the responsibility of looking after the family along with his mother. He worked with his mother selling papads in the evenings and in the mornings he worked mathematics.
Since the local library had insufficient books he chose to travel 6hrs every weekend to Varanasi to study international journals.
The Start of SUPER 30
He started tutoring mathematics to 2 students and eventually the class size increased to 500.
After a few years, a poor student approached him seeking tuition for IIT entrance exam. This motivated Anand Kumar to start a new Venture in the name of SUPER 30.
SUPER 30, every year selects 30 students from economically backward classes and offers free study materials and lodging facilities and coaching for a year. Ever since 2003, SUPER 30 has trained 360 students out of which 308 students have cleared the entrance examination.
After Anand’s recognition from all over the world has attracted him offers from several government sectors, national and international companies. He refused the opportunities chose to work wholeheartedly for SUPER30- The Ramanujam School of Mathematics.
His organization’s main objective is to track the talented bunch of students from economically impoverished sections and hone their skills by providing a conducive environment.
Do join us for more such updates,